We extend our deepest sympathies to all who were affected by the violent events at Oxford High School. In the aftermath of a tragic event it can feel difficult and overwhelming to provide the needed support and care. Below are resources to help guide families, teens, school staff and providers through this time. Please reach out for additional support.
|Resources in Response to the Oxford High School Shooting
National Child Traumatic Stress Network has developed resources to help families and communities:
· After the Injury—website for families with injured children
· Health Care Toolbox—website for pediatric health providers working with injured children
Psychological First Aid
The NCTSN also has resources for responders on Psychological First Aid (PFA). PFA is an early intervention to support children, adolescents, adults, and families impacted by these types of events. PFA Mobile is an app that can be accessed for free on Apple and Android mobile devices. Additional PFA resources include:
· Psychological First Aid for Schools (PFA-S) – field operations guide
· Providing PFA-S: For School Support Staff – handout
· Providing PFA-S: For Teachers – handout
SAMHSA has a Disaster Distress Helpline – call or text 1-800-985-5990 (for Spanish, press “2”) to be connected to a trained counselor 24/7/365.